17th Illinois Infantry
Monument is located on Union Avenue at the north end of Battery DeGoyler. Also markers designating the assault of 22 May 1863 are located east of the Louisiana Memorial on Confederate Avenue and on Pemberton Avenue south of the ranger station. This unit was attached to Brig. Gen. John D. Stevenson's 3rd Brigade of Maj. Gen. John A. Logan's 3rd Division, Maj. Gen. James B. McPherson's XVII Army Corps and was commanded by Lt. Col. Francis M. Smith & Maj. Frank F. Pats.
Last updated: April 14, 2015