Monument located on Union Avenue 100 yards east of the Wisconsin Memorial. Also a multiple bronze tablet designating the assaults of 22 May 1863 located on South Washington Street, south of South Fort. This unit was attached to Col. William Hall's 3rd Brigade of Brig. Gen'l John McArthur's 6th Division, Maj. Gen. James B. McPherson's XVII Army Corps and was commanded by Maj. William Purcell & Col. Addison H. Sanders. Later the regiment was attached to Col. Alexander Chambers' Brigade of Brig. Gen'l John McArthur's Provisional Division, Maj. Gen. Cadwallader C. Washburn's XVI Army Corps (Detachment), Maj. Gen. William T. Sherman's exterior line.
16th Iowa Infantry
Last updated: April 14, 2015