16th Indiana Infantry
Monument located at the Visitor Center parking area. Also a marker designating the assault of 22 May 1863, located on the slope between Confederate Avenue and the Jewish Cemetery, markers designating sharpshooter's lines on Union Avenue 800' beyond the Memorial Arch and in the mowed gallery running north and south 400 yards west-southwest of the Minnesota Memorial and a marker designating the camp site located on Union Avenue 800' beyond the Memorial Arch. This unit was attached to Brig. Gen. Stephen G. Burbridge's 1st Brigade of Brig. Gen. Andrew J. Smith's 10th Division, Maj. Gen'ls John A. McClernand (relieved of command 19 June 1863) & Edward O.C. Ord's XIII Army Corps and was commanded by Col. Thomas J. Lucas & Maj. James H. Redfield.
Last updated: April 14, 2015