This unit was attached to Maj. Gen. Martin Luther Smith's Division, Lt. Gen. John C. Pemberton's Army of Vicksburg, and commanded by Maj. M.S. Ward. [Refer to Edwin Bearss' The Vicksburg Campaign, Volume III, pages 781, 785, 870, and 968.]
Monument located on the north side of Confederate Avenue, approximately 0.4 miles east of Fort Hill (Park Tour Stop 9). Also, an iron tablet on the north side of Confederate Avenue, approximately 0.2 miles east of Fort Hill (Park Tour Stop 9); an iron tablet in the mowed bay running north behind the Tennessee Memorial, and a third iron tablet located at South Fort on the west side of South Washington Street.
14th Mississippi Battalion Light Artillery, Company A
This unit, commanded by Capt. C.B. Vance, was split into two sections; the 1st section under command of Lts. T. H. Cunningham and B. T. Mathews manned two 12-pdr howitzers in the South Fort, from about 26 May 1863, until about 15 June 1863, when the section and howitzers were reassigned to the left of Brig. Gen. John C. Vaughn's 2d Brigade. The second section manned guns on the left of Vaughn's 2d Brigade from 19 May 1863, until the end of the siege, 4 July 1863.
Last updated: April 14, 2015