124th Illinois Infantry
Monument is located on Union Avenue 50 yards north of the Shirley House. Also a marker designating the assault of 22 May 1863, located 500' behind the Illinois Memorial on the scout's trail and markers designating sharpshooter's lines located on Old Jackson Road at park Tour Stop #3 and 800' behind the Illinois Memorial on the scout's trail. This unit was attached to Brig. Gen'ls John E. Smith & Mortimer D. Leggett's(assumed command 3 June 1863) 1st Brigade of Maj. Gen. John A. Logan's 3rd Division, Maj. Gen. James B. McPherson's XVII Army Corps and was commanded by Col. Thomas J. Sloan & Lt. Col. John H. Howe.