To help you appreciate Vicksburg National Military Park the following are a few significant features about the park.
1 ) The most strategic campaign of the Civil War.
2) The focus of the western campaign in the Civil War.
3) The major campaign for control of the Mississippi River.
4) The collection of monuments (approximately 1,400) is one of the more expansive in the world and includes works by many of the leading artists of their time. It is the largest collection of outdoor art in the Southeast United States.
5) Largest Civil War cemetery in the United States.
6) Second engagement of African-American troops in the Civil War.
7) Springboard for General U.S. Grant's military and political career.
8) The CAIRO is the most intact representative of river iron-clad naval warfare.
9) Fort Nogales (Fort Hill) was a Spanish fort and is an important cultural resource.
10) The Arch was built to symbolize the reunification of the nation.
11) The bluffs, the river and Mint Springs are unique natural resources that provide habitats for plant and animal species which would generally not be found in an urban setting.