|Subscribe | What is RSS|
National Park Service
U.S. Department of the Interior
TULE SPRINGS FOSSIL BEDS NATIONAL MONUMENT News Release
For Immediate Release: June 6, 2016
Release No.: 2016-03
Contact: Jon Burpee, 702-902-0431
TULE SPRINGS ADVISORY COUNCIL TO HOLD FIRST MEETING JUNE 16
LAS VEGAS –The Tule Springs Fossil Beds National Monument Advisory Council will hold its first meeting at 6 p.m. June 16 in the Community Center of Sun City Aliante.
The advisory council was established as part of the national park unit's enabling legislation to advise the Secretary of Interior on the preparation and implementation of the park's management plan. The council is made up of representatives from the local community. Appointed members include:
- The Honorable Benny K. Tso, Las Vegas Paiute Tribe
- Victor A. Rodriguez, Nellis Air Force Base
- Dr. Joshua W. Bonde, State of Nevada
- Marci D. Henson, Clark County
- Mayor Pro Tem Steven D. Ross, City of Las Vegas
- Jill K. DeStefano, City of North Las Vegas
- Mauricia M. M. Baca, the conservation community in Southern Nevada
- Robert M. Brown, a resident of Clark County with a background that reflects the purposes for which the Monument was established
- Arthur H. Wolf, a resident of Clark County with experience in the field of paleontology.
- Eric G. Scott, a resident of San Bernardino County with experience in the field of paleontology
The meeting will include introductions, determination of roles and responsibilities, review of legislation, a superintendent's update and a selection process for the council chairperson. Future meeting dates will also be set.
The meeting is open to the public. Those interested in making oral or written presentations to the council during the meeting should contact Jon Burpee, the park superintendent, at 702-902-0431 or e-mail us.