A hike through federally designated Wilderness to a view of the highest waterfall in the Park at 93 feet. Unless rain is plentiful, Overall Run Falls may have minimal to no water flow.
Distance: 5.1-mile round trip hike
Difficulty: Moderately Strenuous (explanation of our hiking difficulty scale)
Hiking Time: 4 hours
Elevation Gain: 1,291 feet
- From the trailhead at the Mathews Arm Campground registration parking area, take Traces Trail to the yellow-blazed Mathews Arm Road.
- The road becomes Mathews Arm Trail.
- Stay on the right at its intersection with Beecher Ridge Trail and continue on Mathews Arm Trail following it to the intersection with Tuscarora-Overall Run Trail.
- Go left and follow it about a tenth of a mile to a side trail. From here you can see the upper falls.
- Continue downhill on the main trail another 1,300 feet for views of the biggest falls in Shenandoah at 93 feet.
- Retrace your steps back to your starting point.
NOTE: If the campground is closed, you can park at mile 21 and take the Appalachian Trail to the Tuscarora-Overall Run Trail. This route adds another mile to your hike. If you are already in the campground, you can take the yellow-blazed Mathews Arm Road from the B-loop.
The average hiking duration does not take into consideration fitness, exploration, rest, contemplation, etc.
Pets must be on a leash no longer than 6 feet at all times.
An entrance fee is required to get into Shenandoah National Park.
The trailhead for this hike is located at the Mathews Arm Campground registration parking area.
This trail does not meet ADA accessibility guidelines.
Click the image to download the trail map. Print it out at home or save it to your phone to take with you on your hike.
Last updated: February 9, 2021