The interior of the Washington Monument is currently closed, but you may walk around the outside of the building.
Pets are allowed on the grounds, provided they are restrained on a leash no longer than 6 feet in length.
There is no fee to visit the grounds.
2 15th St. NW
Washington, DC 20024
Via Metro: Exit at Smithsonian, using the Mall exit. As you exit the tunnel, the Washington Monument will be behind you.
In order to promote physical distancing and reduce queuing for tickets, tickets for the Washington Monument will are available online from recreation.gov (1-877-444-6777) ONLY; there will be no tickets distributed on site.
Tickets become available daily at 10 a.m. for the next day’s visits (for example, if you are planning to visit on Oct. 5, you can reserve tickets at recreation.gov beginning at 10 a.m. on Oct. 4). Each ticket is good for up to four individuals in a group traveling together. There is a non-refundable reservation fee of $1.50 per ticket.
The sidewalks and approaches to the Washington Monument are ADA compliant.
In accordance with local and federal requirements, including CDC and U.S. Public Health Service recommendations, a comprehensive safety program has been implemented at the Washington Monument that includes timed ticketing, limited entries, physical distancing, and additional cleaning and safety measures to ensure the health and safety of visitors and employees. These measures include:
- Significantly reduced elevator capacity, limiting trips to 4-8 passengers to allow for physical distancing.
- Face coverings are required for all individuals while inside the monument to account for physical distance limitations.
- Touchless check-in.
- Touchless hand sanitizer dispensers throughout the monument.
- Time limit at 500’ observation level of 10 minutes per group.
- A closure each day from 1 to 2 p.m. for cleaning and disinfecting using antiviral disinfectant cleaners recommended by the CDC and registered with the Environmental Protection Agency.
Last updated: April 6, 2021