Text    Click for small text size. Click for medium text size. Click for large text size.         Click to share this page.     Click to print the page.   GO »

Member Details

< Return to Search Results

Park Church

In 1846, forty-one members of the First Presbyterian Church of Elmira asked for letters of dismissal for the purpose of forming a new church. This separation from the church resulted over the issue of slavery. These forty-one members were prominent citizens of the area and ardent abolitionists. Under the by-laws of the new church, slavery was forbidden. After the church was established, a fugitive slave, George Jones was hired as the sexton of the church. George Jones was the half-brother of John W. Jones, the main conductor of the Underground Railroad in Elmira, New York.

Visitor Information: Currently open to public.

Location: 208 West Gray Street, Elmira, Chemung, 14901

Contact Information: 607-733-9104 (main phone)

National Park Unit: No

Ownership: Jon R. Homuth

Location Type: Site

Freedom Seekers: John Jones

UGRR Operatives: Augustus Holt

Religious Denominations: Congregational