Text    Click for small text size. Click for medium text size. Click for large text size.         Click to share this page.     Click to print the page.   GO »

Member Details

< Return to Search Results

Oswego School District Public Library

In 1853, Gerrit Smith, abolitionist, prohibitionist, temperance advocate, and businessman, donated funds to establish the Oswego City Library. The stipulation of the gift included a site on the east side of the Oswego River (where his property was mostly located), his insistence that the privileges and benefits of the library should be conferred upon all persons without regard to race, color, or condition, and that his name not be associated with the library. On April 15, 1854, by act of the New York State Legislature, the library was incorporated. In 1855, the library was constructed. The first trustees were all friends of Smith: Alvin Bronson, James Platt, George McWhorter, Henry Fitzhugh, Edwin W. Clark, John B. Edwards, James Brown, and DeWitt C. Littlejohn.

Visitor Information: Currently open to public.

Location: 120 East Second Street, Oswego, 13126

Contact Information: 315-341-5867 (main phone)

National Park Unit: No

Ownership: Carol Ferlito

Location Type: Site

UGRR Operatives: Gerrit Smith