The Oswego Market House, listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1973, lies on the west side of the Oswego River between Water Street and the water. It is a massive brick and stone Federal styled building formerly used as a market place and seat of village and city government. Today, it houses several small businesses: bait shop, tavern, etc,
In 1850 local abolitionists hosted the Liberty Party’s annual political convention in the building. Gerrit Smith received the nomination for the presidency of the United States, while Samuel R. Ward, a fugitive from slavery, was nominated for the vice-presidency. The Market House is notable because of its prestige and vote-pulling power. It was the first time in the country’s history that a black had been nominated to the highest office in the land.
Visitor Information: Currently not open to public.
Location: Water Street, Oswego, 13126
National Park Unit: No
Ownership: Richard Mitchell
Location Type: Site
Freedom Seekers: Samuel R. Ward