Text    Click for small text size. Click for medium text size. Click for large text size.         Click to share this page.     Click to print the page.   GO »

Member Details

< Return to Search Results

Buckout-Jones Building

Abram Buckout (1813-1884) owned the west half of the Buckout-Jones Building from 1852 until 1868. The son of Buckout’s business partner described Abrahm as an "ardent abolitionist but (he) was very careful not to disclose the fact as it might reacts on his business and family." The two partners secreted slaves in the Buckout barn on West Fifth Street Road. The barn is now gone, although the Buckout residence still stands.

Charles Smith, a former slave from Baltimore, Maryland, was a barber and tenant in the Buckout-Jones Building in 1857. He was a committed abolitionist, and an outspoken opponent of discrimination in all forms. Grant signed petitions, joined the City of Oswego Vigilance Committee, and enrolled his children in public schools despite discrimination from teachers and parents of white children.

Owner Abram Buckout and tenants Charles Smith and Tudor E. Grant worked in this building, provided aid for fugitive slaves, and supported the cause of abolition.

Visitor Information: Currently not open to public.

Location: 5-13 Wesr Bridge Street, Oswego, 13126

National Park Unit: No

Ownership: John Gosek

Location Type: Site

UGRR Operatives: Abram Buckhout,Charles Smith,Tudor E. Grant