Note: PDFs on this page are being converted to meet 508 compliance codes and are temporarily unavailable; they will be re-uploaded upon completion. Contact the division if you require these documents.
- American Indian Music [193 KB PDF]
- Create a Windsock [105 KB PDF]
- Create Your Own Soundscape [113 KB PDF]
- Communicating in the Wild [776 KB PDF] (Click here to download sound clips needed for this activity)
- Guess That Sound Game [16,568 KB PDF] (developed for 2011 BioBlitz at Saguaro National Park)
- Layering Sounds [642 KB PDF]
- Silent Hike/Silent Sit [1,001 KB PDF]
- Sound Appreciation [431 KB PDF]
- Sound Bingo [158 KB PDF]
- Stalking Prey [457 KB PDF]
- Powerful World of Sound Curriculum [1,348 KB PDF]
Soundscape Interpretive Programs Used at Parks
- Power of Sound Interpretive Handbook [2MB PDF]
- Capitol Reef's Voice [571 KB PDF] (Click here to download sound clips)
- The Dark Side of Shenandoah [481 KB PDF]
- Voice of the Desert [499 KB PDF]
- Listening to Muir Woods [93 KB PDF]
Teaching Youth through Educational Travel
Through a partnership with No Barriers Youth, the National Park Service Natural Sounds and Night Skies Division is educating a diverse group of youth and educators nationwide in the management and understanding of soundscapes. Through educational activities conducted in classrooms and on expeditions around the world, they inspire an appreciation of natural and cultural resources, a connection to the natural world, and a commitment to environmental stewardship.
Students have traveled on expeditions to Grand Canyon National Park, Canyon de Chelly National Monument, and the Peruvian Amazon. Each expedition includes sound-related activitIes and experiments aimed at increasing knowledge and understanding of the importance of sound and the acoustical environment in national parks and their everyday lives.
This partnership was awarded the 2012 Partners in Conservation Award by the U.S. Department of the Interior for outstanding achievements in youth stewardship and engagement.
Learn more: No Barriers Youth Lead the Way