Have you still not found what you're looking for?
The Archeology Program's old website is defunct, but a crosswalk between the old and new pages is below. We appreciate your patience while exciting new content updates are completed.
Technical Assistance & Professional Guidance
- Laws, Regulations, & Guidelines: Lists and descriptions of key federal laws and regulations pertaining to archeology, as well as standards and guidelines for carrying them out.
- Archeology Guide: The reference manual for NPS archeology, as per Director's Order #28A. Its chapters include:
- Archeological Collections Management (coming soon)
- Archeology Outreach
- Cultural Resources and Fire
- Cultural Resources and Wilderness
- Permits for Archeological Investigations
- National Monument Facts and Figures: A comprehensive source of data about national monuments established by the President under the authority of the Antiquities Act of 1906. One of the most-visited parts of the subject site!
News & Publications
- Archeology E-Gram: A monthly e-newsletter of fun facts, news you can use, book reviews, and other information.
- Studies in Archeology and Ethnography: In-depth studies of archeological topics.
- Technical Briefs: Technical information about specific topics in archeology.
- Archeology in the Parks: These essays are now in nps.gov's shared content system (trust us). To find them, go to Article Search and search by title.
- Archeology for Interpreters
- Archeology for Interpreters: Full course on DOI Talent (DOI employee access only)
- Archeology for Interpreters: Quick course on NPS Common Learning Portal (Available to all, with registration on website)
- Interpretation for Archeologists
- Interpretation for Archeologists: Full course coming soon to DOI Talent (DOI employee access only)
- Interpretation for Archeologists: Quick course on NPS Common Learning Portal (Available to all, with registration on website)
- Assessment of Archeological Interpretation: Learning resource on NPS Common Learning Portal (Available to all, with registration on website)
- Managing Archeological Collections: Under re-development for the NPS Archeology Guide: Archeological Collections Management. Stay tuned.
Education and Fun Stuff
- Junior Archeologist: Complete activities and mail or email your booklet to receive a patch. English and Spanish versions available.
- Teacher Resources: Now For Teachers, find all kinds of formal and informal learning activities.
- Archeology for Kids: Now called Explore Archeology for Kids, super fun activities to learn about what archeology is and what archeologists do.
- Preserving America's Past: A revamped version of the web feature, now called Archeology and Preserving America's Past.
Last updated: February 9, 2023