Please stay on designated trails. This will help prevent erosion and damage to vegetation. Off-trail hikers can quickly produce paths that take years to revegetate. Avoid disturbing plants and animals: threatened and endangered species occurr in the park.
Regulations for Mainland Trails
- A Park Pass is required for all trail use within the national lakeshore.
- Vehicles, including bicycles, are permitted only on roads.
- Snowmobiling is prohibited except on rights-of-way along state and county roads.
- Collecting plants and other natural, historical, and archeological items is not permitted. Exception: Certain edible fruits and mushrooms may be collected in limited quantities for personal use.
- Pets on trails must be kept on a 6-foot leash. Pets are prohibited on ski trails December 1 - March 31 and at the Dune Climb throughout the year. Click for more details on Pet Rules.
- Glass is banned on all park beaches.
- Fires are permitted only in campground and picnic area fireplaces and fire rings and on areas of bare beach sand between the water and the first dune.