Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore is an outstanding natural classroom that provides educational opportunities to many schools and institutions each year. In keeping with this commitment of encouraging educational use of the park, entrance fees are waived for educational groups that fall within the criteria listed below.
Criteria for Academic Fee Waivers:
National or international applicants must prove they are a school or bona fide academic institution by submitting one of the following types of documentation:
- A statement confirming educational or scientific tax exemption from the IRS or the applicant's national, state, or local tax authority; or
- A statement, from a bona fide academic institution meeting one of these eligibility standards, confirming that the group is visiting for the purpose of providing transferable academic credit based on a curriculum; or
- a statement of accreditation or recognition as an educational institution from a legitimate international, national, regional, state, or local authority for the applicant's location.
2) Educational Purpose of the Visit:
Applicants must provide a written statement (documentation) verifying that the visit supports a specific curriculum for which academic credit is offered.
3) Relevance of Park Resources or Facilities:
Relevance to park resources must be described. Applicants must provide a written statement identifying the park resources and/or facilities that will be used to support the educational purpose of the visit, and how they are relevant to that purpose.
How to Apply:
Mail or fax your documentation to the following address prior to the visit. Be sure to include the planned date of your visit, contact information, and return fax number:
Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore
Attn: Fee Program Manager
9922 Front St. (M-72)
Empire, MI 49630-9797
FAX: (231) 326-4719