Dating back to 1885, these large wood and leather bellows were originally used to power an air horn on a 19th century Great Lakes boat. Today they are used to deliver extra air to the coal burning on the hearth in the Blacksmith Shop in Glen Haven and serve as the blacksmith’s heat regulator. They measure approximately six feet by three feet and weigh about 100 pounds. When in use, the middle section is stationary as air is moved from the lower chamber to the upper. Air flow is regulated simply by the number of bricks placed upon the upper chamber (as depicted in the photo).
Last updated: October 20, 2020