Guilford Courthouse History in Maps
The central theme of Guilford Courthouse National Military Park is the Revolutionary War battle fought there on March 15, 1781. But, like other parks, Guilford Courthouse has other interesting stories, such as the thousands of soldiers who participated in the battle, how their efforts were memorialized, and the search for the long-gone courthouse that stood near the battlefield in 1781.
The Southeast Archeological Center has developed three interactive map applications about the history and cultural resources of the park. The applications use GIS data to show locations and include linked photographs and other documents. They can be viewed using browsers on computers and most mobile devices.
The GIS data, photographs, participants table, and annotated deeds are the work of SEAC staff, park staff,and park interns. The Center for Earth Observation at North Carolina State University provided initial development of web services and maps. Funding for student and university support was provided by the NPS Recreational Fee Demonstration Program. The linked photographs and documents are hosted by NPFocus. The applications were developed using the NPS account with ArcGIS Online.
The map shows the positions of the various British and American military units at the beginning of the battle according to Long, obstinate, and bloody: the Battle of Guilford Courthouse by Lawrence E. Babits and Joshua B. Howard (2009). Users can click on military units in the map to learn more about their role in the battle. The Search tool helps users find soldiers by name and see where their units were positioned on the field of conflict.
Historic Monuments in the Park
From 1887 until 1933, the national battlefield was developed as a public park, first by a commission and then by the U.S. War Department. During those years, dozens of stone and brass monuments and markers were installed around the park to commemorate the battle commanders, their troops, and others who were important to the American Revolution or the park. The web map application shows the locations of the monuments. Clicking on a monument brings up 2 or 3 photographs and more information.
Historic Properties and the Courthouse
Dramatic changes in the landscape over the centuries have obscured features that would help us understand exactly where the battle was fought and where the courthouse stood. The web map application shows historic land ownership reconstructed from historic land records. The time slider tool shows changes from 1751 when the first land grants were issued to 1933 when the National Park Service took over park management. Tracing properties back through time helps to narrow down the courthouse location. Application users can control the time slider and click on properties in the map to view annotated deeds, plats, and related documents.
To visit the web application, click on the image above.
This viewer is provided for research and display purposes only. It is not intended for navigation. Most of the cemeteries are located far from roads and trails in rugged terrain. The park and SEAC welcome additional information and corrections. To learn more about the GIS work at the Southeast Acheological Center click here .