Permits & Reservations

Obtaining a Permit at Saratoga NHP

Special Use Permits (SUPs)

A Special Use Permit is required for activities that provide a benefit to an individual, group, or organization, rather than the public at large and for activities that require some degree of management by the National Park Service in order to protect park resources and the public interest.

Permit applications require a $50 non-refundable processing fee and must be received by the park at least 1 month prior to proposed activity. Your submission of an application DOES NOT guarantee approval of a permit.

Activities and events that require Special Use Permits include:

  • The following activities related to Public Use Limits
    • Exceptions to Closures and Public Use Limits
    • Group visitation (picnics, family reunions, organized trips or tours)
    • Wedding ceremonies - not to exceed 30 participants and 10 vehicles
    • Fund raising events
  • Commercial Filming and/or Photography
    • Commercial filming of motion pictures or television involving the use of professional casts, settings or crews, other than a bona fide newsreel or news television.
    • Still photography of vehicles, or other articles of commerce or models for the purpose of commercial advertising.
  • Conduct a sports event, pagaent, regatta, public spectator attraction, entertainment, ceremony, and similar events
  • First Amendment Activities with over 25 participants
  • Sale or distribution of printed matter that is not solely commercial advertising.
  • Soliciting or demanding gifts, money, goods, or services (pursuant to the terms and condions of a permit issued under 2.50, 2.51, or 2.52)
  • Advertisements (display, posting, or distribution).
  • Engaging in or soliciting any business.
  • Memorialization
    • (a) Erection of monuments (requires approval from Regional Director).
    • (b) Scattering of ashes from human cremation.

First Amendment Activities

Freedom of speech, press, religion, and assembly are Constitutional Rights. However, the courts have recognized that activities associated with the exercise of these rights may be reasonably regulated to protect park resources. Therefore, all First Amendment activities with over 25 participants require special use permits, and the park may regulate the time, place, and manner in which they are conducted. First Amendment activities with less than 25 participants who utilize designated areas do not require a permit. Some examples of special events that require permits are:

  • Distribution and/or sale of printed matter
  • Religious services
  • Scattering of ashes
  • Public demonstrations or assemblies, etc.
  • Collecting signatures for petitions

Commercial Use Authorizations (CUAs)

A commercial use is defined as any activities, services, agreements, or anything offered to park visitors and/or the general public for recreational purposes which uses park resources or is undertaken for or results in compensation, monetary gain, benefit, or profit to an individual, organization, or corporation, whether or not such entity is organized for purposes recognized as non-profit under local, state, or federal law.

You are required to apply for a CUA if any of the following apply:

  • commercial transportation/tour operators and those who own, lease, charter their vehicles to other tour operators, or rent their vehicles from such places as a rental company for commercial tour purposes
  • person(s), organization, or group that arranges for the transportation and tour services, assumes responsibility for financial risk and management, and determines who shall be transported upon what terms, conditions, or charges
  • provide guided trips or services for biking, hiking, tours, or other approved activities for the public.
  • photography or painting workshops or tours

SUP Forms

There are two types of forms - one for commercial filming or photography, and one for other special uses. In most cases, the short form will suffice - if you have questions, please e-mail Chief of Interpretation, Lisa Dittman.

Application for Special Use Permit (form 10-930)
Word document (830 kb)

Application for Special Use Permit, short (form 10-930s)
Word document (825 kb)

Application for Filming Permit (form 10-932)
Word document (855 kb)

Application for Filming Permit, short (form 10-931)
Word document (834 kb)

CUA Forms

Application with instructions (form 10-550)
Word document (663 kb)

Sample Visitor Acknowledgement of Risk
Word document (80 kb)

Last updated: April 21, 2019

Contact the Park

Mailing Address:

648 Route 32
Stillwater, NY 12170


(518) 670-2985
Saratoga National Historical Park information desk available daily from 9am - 5pm

Contact Us