Updated: Monday, August 9, 2021
Mask-wearing Requirement Individuals over the age of two years must wear masks, except when actively eating or drinking, in the following locations:
- All common areas and shared workspaces in buildings owned, rented or leased by the National Park Service, including, but not limited to, park visitor centers, administrative offices, lodges, gift shops and restaurants.
- The following outdoor areas, when others are present, where the superintendent has determined that physical distancing (staying at least six feet apart) cannot reasonably be maintained:
- outdoor areas adjacent to visitor centers
- parking lots and picnic areas
- crowded trails, viewpoints, and other areas of interest
- covered structures and open-air pavilions
Masks must cover the nose and mouth and fit snugly around the nose and chin with no large gaps around the sides of the face. Masks not designed to be protective, masks with ventilation valves, and face shields do not meet the requirement.
CDC guidance recognizes that masks should not be worn by children under age two or anyone who has trouble breathing. Wearing masks may be difficult for some people with sensory, cognitive, or behavioral issues. If a visitor is unable to wear a mask properly or cannot tolerate a mask, they should not wear one and may be asked to leave any location where masks are required to be worn. Visitors may be asked to lower their masks briefly for identification purposes in compliance with safety and security requirements.
Based on guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), and state and local public health authorities, current access to Salinas Pueblo Missions National Monument is as follows:
- All roads, trails, and restrooms at our three sites (Abó, Quarai, and Gran Quivira) are open daily from 9 am- 5 pm.
- Main Visitor Center and Museum in Mountainair, Abó Visitor Center and Quarai Visitor Center and Museum are open daily from 9 am - 5 pm.
- Gran Quivira Visitor Center and Museum is open Thursday-Monday from 9 am - 5 pm.
Unavailable at this time:
- Ranger-led tours and programs.
- We are beginning to gradually reintroduce events. Please check our event calendar for upcoming events.
Please Recreate Responsibly
- Park only in designated areas.
- Pack out everything you bring in.
- Follow the CDC’s social distancing guidelines for staying 6 ft (2 m) from others. If you are not fully vaccinated, wear a mask indoors and in crowded outdoor spaces.
- Stay on marked trails.
- If you are sick, please stay home to avoid exposing others.