As of February 22, 2010, a new federal law allows people who can legally posses firearms under applicable federal, state, and local laws, to legally possess firearms on lands administered by the National Park Service in this recreation area.
It is the responsibility of visitors to understand and comply with all applicable state, local, federal firearms laws before entering this park.
As a starting point, please visit California's firearms web site: California DOJ Bureau of Firearms. You may also download a copy of California's Firearms Laws Summary Booklet for further information.
Federal law still prohibits firearms in certain facilities in this park; those places are marked with signs at all public entrances. Some of the main facilities in the Santa Monica Mountains National Recreation Area that prohibit firearms are:
- Circle X Contact Station
- Diamond X Maintenance Facility
- Diamond X Sign Shop
- Paramount Ranch Fire Station
- Paramount Ranch Ranger Station
- Rancho Sierra Vista Education Offices
- Santa Monica Mountains National Recreation Area Visitor Center
- Santa Monica Mountains National Recreation Area Administrative Offices
- Satwiwa Native American Indian Culture Center
For more information you can download the following documents:
Public Law 111-24 Section 512
Information for the Santa Monica Mountains National Recreation Area
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Adobe Reader is required to download all documents. Click here to visit Adobe's web site.