Wildlife Biology Intern
The National Park Service is conducting inventory and monitoring surveys for several wildlife species in the Santa Monica Mountains. Projects will assess the effects of habitat fragmentation/urban encroachment on diversity and abundance of reptiles and amphibians, small mammals, and habitat usages and diet of large and medium carnivores.
• Handle lizards, snakes, amphibians, invertebrates, and small mammals through pitfall trapping.
• Conduct stream surveys for breeding amphibians and invasive aquatic species.
• Collect, carefully record, and verify data.
• Assist with trail camera maintenance, road kill surveys, and carnivore scat collection.
• Commitment of 6 months, 40 hours per week (full time). Weekday work schedule, although specific schedules may vary, and occasional weekend work may be needed.
• A stipend of $20 per workday.
• Intern will be paid monthly or as worked out by the intern supervisor.
• Full time interns from outside the area may be eligible for shared housing.
• Must be a US citizen or permanent resident of the United States
• College students and recent graduates are eligible.
• Educational interest and experience in Biology, Ecology or Environmental Studies.
• Comfortable working in rough terrain, such as dense chaparral or deep streams.
• Some previous field experience is desirable.
• Ability to work well both independently and as part of a team, be detail-oriented and organized.
• Good oral and written communication skills and ability to follow oral or written directions.
• Knowledge of Excel and Access is helpful.
• Valid driver's license is required.
• Must have own transportation to and from Headquarters work site. Government vehicles are available for intern use within the scope of their internship.
• Background check and/or fingerprint check may be required.
To apply, send a cover letter (include how position will benefit your career, your available dates, your understanding that this internship is unpaid except for the stipend, and that you have your own vehicle for transportation to and from work), resume, three reference contacts, and unofficial transcript via email to email@example.com
Last updated: February 11, 2021