Major Duties (you will learn how to)
- Staff the Visitor Center in Calabasas or our Satwiwa Native American Cultural Center in Newbury Park.
- Respond to visitors' requests for information in person, or on the telephone.
- Explain park rules and regulations to visitors at park sites or on the trail.
- Assist with special events, fairs and special projects as necessary.
- Research, prepare and present at least one general public program.
- Must be a US citizen or permanent resident of the US.
- College student or recent graduate with a background in Recreation, English, History, Natural Sciences or related subjects.
- General knowledge of the National Park Service or Santa Monica Mountains National Recreation Area is helpful.
- Ability to work well both independently and as part of a team, be detail-oriented and organized.
- Good oral and written communication skills and ability to follow oral and written directions.
- Basic computer familiarity.
- Valid driver's license is required.
- Must have own transportation to and from worksite. Government vehicles are available for intern use within the scope of their internship.
Work Site and Conditions
- Intern will work at Park Headquarters in Thousand Oaks, but may work in the field or at the other NPS visitor centers as needed.
- Work will involve some physical activity, including hiking or walking at various park sites.
- An internship of 12 weeks full time is preferred. Part time work can be arranged for a longer period of time.
- Weekend work is required.
- Fingerprint or background check is required.
How to ApplyTo apply, submit the following documents via email to email@example.com.
- Letter of intent (include how the position will benefit your career, the dates you are available, whether you need housing, your understanding that this internship is unpaid, except for the stipend, and that you have your own vehicle for transportation to and from work)
- Transcripts (unofficial are acceptable)
- Three references
For additional questions contact firstname.lastname@example.org.