The native plant nursery of the Santa Monica Mountains grows native plants for use in ecological restoration projects throughout the park. The nursery is located in Newbury Park, CA at Rancho Sierra Vista / Satwiwa. Nursery interns will learn the basics of propagating native plants including seed collection, seed cleaning, sowing, bumping up, mixing soil, pruning, and general maintenance. Most work will be in the nursery but interns will also spend some time in the field collecting seed. Many of the tasks of the Native Plant Nursery Intern are now handled as part of the training of the Restoration Ecology Interns.
- Assist with native plant propagation
- Mix soil
- Collect native seed
- Maintain accurate nursery records
- Intern must be a US citizen or permanent resident of the United States.
- Background in biology, botany, ecology, or other science is beneficial
- Interest in native plant propagation or ecological restoration
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Attention to detail
- Must provide own transportation to the work site at Rancho Sierra Vista / Satwiwa
- Valid driver’s license and good driving record are required to drive a government vehicle.
Work Site and Conditions
- Majority of work will take place at the nursery in open pens and in a covered open air building (no air conditioning).
- Work site is located at Rancho Sierra Vista / Satwiwa in Newbury Park, CA.
- Bending, lifting, and moving heavy objects may be required.
- Weather can be hot and humid. Minimum commitment of 12 weeks full time or part time for a longer period of time is required. Working on Saturdays is possible.
- Full and part-time interns are eligible for a transportation reimbursement of $20 for each eight hours worked.
- Housing is not available.
- Position is available year round.
- Fingerprint check may be required.
How to Apply
To apply, submit the following documents via email to email@example.com.
- Letter of intent (include how the position will benefit your career, the dates you are available, whether you need housing, your understanding that this internship is unpaid, except for the stipend, and that you have your own vehicle for transportation to and from work)
- Transcripts (unofficial are acceptable)
- Three references
For additional questions contact firstname.lastname@example.org.