Major Duties that intern will receive additional experience in may include:
- Conducting analyses of GIS data. Preparing plots or other products to meet specific needs.
- Visiting field sites to gather information.
- Developing GIS databases from a variety of sources including text files, hardcopy maps, GPS data, field notes, etc. Downloading and processing data from the Internet.
- Operating GIS software and hardware, including peripheral devices such as GPS receivers, plotters, digitizers, and scanners.
- Assisting with the maintenance and organization of GIS files and related databases. Preparing metadata to document content and source of GIS data.
- Intern must be a US citizen or permanent resident of the United States.
- College student or recent graduate with knowledge of the methods, procedures and technology of GIS.
- Ability to use ArcGIS to produce maps and to develop, process and analyze geographic data.
- Basic understanding of Microsoft Windows operating system and ability to use standard office software (e.g. word processing, spreadsheet, etc.). Ability to work well both independently and as part of a team.
- Ability to focus on and complete tasks with attention to detail and organization.
- Good oral and written communication skills and ability to follow oral and written directions.
- Valid driver's license is required.
- Must have own transportation to and from worksite. Government vehicles are available for intern use within the scope of the internship.
Work Site and Conditions:
- Intern will generally work in an office environment at park headquarters in Thousand Oaks.
- Fingerprint check and background security check will be required.
- The park GIS facilities include Arc/Info (ArcMap, ArcCatalog, Spatial Analyst, and other extensions) in a networked Microsoft Windows environment, a large format inkjet plotter, and various Trimble GPS units.
- Some projects may include field work such as data collection, GPS mapping, and field assessment of existing data.
- Interns usually work part-time schedules on weekdays depending upon individual and specific project needs. Full time internships generally last for at least 12 weeks, part time internships for a longer time.
How to ApplyTo apply, submit the following documents via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Letter of intent (include how the position will benefit your career, the dates you are available, whether you need housing, your understanding that this internship is unpaid, except for the stipend, and that you have your own vehicle for transportation to and from work)
- Transcripts (unofficial are acceptable)
- Three references
For additional questions contact email@example.com.