Major Duties: (You will increase skills in, or learn to)
- Conduct radio telemetry (including triangulation) on carnivore species
- Download GPS location data from carnivore collars in the field
- Conduct monthly scat surveys for bobcats and coyotes
- Assist with the placement and maintenance of remote camera traps
- May have the opportunity to assist wildlife ecologists and technicians with carnivore trapping and radio collaring
- May also assist with some of the parks other wildlife studies including stream surveys and pitfall trapping
- Must be a US citizen or permanent resident of the United States
- College students and recent graduates are eligible.
- Educational interest and experience in Biology, Ecology or related field
- Must have previous field experience, and experience in radio telemetry is highly desirable.
- Knowledge of Excel and data entry in Access is helpful.
- Ability to work well both independently and as part of a team, be detail oriented and organized.
- Good oral and written communication skills and ability to follow oral or written directions.
- Valid driver's license is required.
- Must have own transportation to and from worksite. Government vehicles are available for intern use within the scope of their internship.
- Background check and/or fingerprint check may be required.
- A positive working attitude
Work Site and Conditions:
- Substantial amounts of walking in rough terrain, such as dense chaparral or deep and rocky streams.
- Minimum commitment of 6 months, full time. Work schedule may include weekdays, weekends, nights, and holidays.
- A stipend of $20 per workday is usually available.
- Full time interns from outside the area may be eligible for shared housing.
How to ApplyTo apply, submit the following documents via email to email@example.com.
- Letter of intent (include how the position will benefit your career, the dates you are available, whether you need housing, your understanding that this internship is unpaid, except for the stipend, and that you have your own vehicle for transportation to and from work)
- Transcripts (unofficial are acceptable)
- Three references
For additional questions contact firstname.lastname@example.org.