|Subscribe | What is RSS|
Contact: Jonathan Parker, 978-210-4245
SALEM, MA - Leaders from the Corinthian Yacht Club, National Park Service Northeast Region and Salem Maritime National Historic Site recently gathered to recognize the successful preservation of the Pedrick Store House, a 1770 historic structure built in Marblehead, MA that formerly served as a privateering base during the Revolutionary War. The structure was saved from demolition in 2003, disassembled and relocated to Derby Wharf as part of a unique historic preservation partnership between the National Park Service, the Corinthian Yacht Club and the Town of Marblehead.
The event included the donation of giclee print of Pedrick Store House from the Corinthian Yacht Club to Salem Maritime National Historic Site. Originally painted by noted Boston marine artist John Amory Codman around 1850, the limited edition giclee print recognizes the significance of Pedrick Store House to the maritime history of New England, the Town of Marblehead and the building's role as a privateering base during the Revolutionary War.
"We're very grateful to the Corinthian Yacht Club for donating this beautiful painting and, more importantly, for their earlier leadership in the ultimate preservation of the Pedrick Store House," said Park Superintendent Paul DePrey. "The Store House has a rich, nationally-significant history that would have been lost forever had it not been for the collaborative effort and support of the Corinthian, as well as the communities of Marblehead and Salem. The generosity of our community partners helps us preserve and promote Salem's national park for the enjoyment of future generations."
Pedrick Store House, once known as Blacker's Salt House and Tucker's Wharf, was built by Marblehead merchant Thomas Pedrick (1736-1802) in 1770 for storing fish, salt, wine, molasses and other staples of the New England maritime and fishing industry. It later served as a privateering base during the Revolutionary War, a warehouse, sail loft, chandlery and as the former office of the Marblehead Harbormaster.The building narrowly escaped demolition in 2003 and was relocated to Derby Wharf, part of Salem Maritime National Historic Site.
Numerous officers of the Corinthian Yacht Club, including Vice Commodore Robert Howie, Rear Commodore Annie Harris, and Past Commodores Ken Adam and William Conly presented the gift of the John Amory Codman print to the park. Also in attendance were local historian Robert Booth and David Bittermann, NPS Chief of Preservation Planning, Historic Architecture, Conservation and Engineering from the Northeast Region of the National Park Service.
Event participants also joined Superintendent DePrey for a behind-the-scenes tour of the Pedrick Store House as well as Friendship of Salem. These two maritime operations benefit from the contributions of over fifty park volunteers and assorted community partners, including the Essex National Heritage Commission.
Individuals, groups and organizations interested in supporting Salem Maritime National Historic Site are encouraged to visit our website at nps.gov/sama/getinvolved/ to learn about stewardship opportunities including volunteering, partnership programs and philanthropy.
About Salem Maritime National Historic Site
Salem Maritime National Historic Site was designated in 1937, the first National Historic Site in the National Park system. The nine acre site includes the homes of merchants and mariners, the Salem Custom House in which the famous author Nathaniel Hawthorne worked, and a replica of the three-masted cargo vessel Friendship. Today, the park rangers and volunteers of Salem Maritime NHS continue to inform and inspire visitors with the maritime history of New England and the United States. For more information, visit us on the web at www.nps.gov/sama or call 978-740-1650.