|Subscribe | What is RSS|
Contact: Colleen Bruce, 978-740-1694
Friendship of Salem chosen to lead Parade of Sail at Tall Ships Rhode Island in Newport, RI.
It was announced today that Friendship of Salem, a full-rigged tall ship based at Salem Maritime National Historic Site in Salem, MA, was chosen to lead the Parade of Sail that closes Tall Ships Rhode Island in Newport, RI. The parade will begin in Newport Harbor at 12:30 on Sunday, July 1, 2007.
According to the Tall Ships Rhode Island Web site, www.tallshipsrhodeisland.org, the 20 vessels from all over the world that have converged on Newport harbor are the largest gathering of tall ships in Newport since 1976. "Leading this parade is a great honor for Friendship and the National Park Service," says Salem Maritime National Historic Site Superintendent Patricia Trap, "One of our goals for Friendship is to use her to engage people from around the country and around the world with the maritime history of New England. Attending festivals like Tall Ships Rhode Island is an important way that we educate visitors who may not be able to get to Salem about that history and about the mission of the National Park Service."
The event began on June 27, and runs through July 1, with the parade of sail capping off a week of festivities. In three days, almost 10,000 people have visited Friendship.
About Friendship of Salem:
Friendship of Salem was built for the National Park Service using public and private funding, and is berthed at Salem Maritime National Historic Site in Salem, MA. She is a full-size replica of a ship built in Salem in 1797.
In the early years of the United States, ships built for international trade were called "East Indiamen" because they would sail to the East Indies, as the Asian countries were called at that time. The original Friendship made 15 voyages, to the Far East, South America, Mediterranean, and northern Europe before she was captured by the British during the war of 1812 and auctioned off as a prize of war.
Today’s Friendship was launched in 1998. She was built using modern materials and construction methods while retaining the appearance of the original ship. She has a volunteer crew of about 50 people who maintain the vessel as well as operating as her crew during voyages.