|Subscribe | What is RSS|
Contact: Jonathan Parker, (978) 210-4245SALEM, MA - Join the Essex county sailing community as we mark the end of the sailing season with Salem's first annual Downrigging Weekend on November 1-2nd, 2014. The two-day event features half-price public sails on the schooners THOMAS LANNON, ARDELLE, and FAME and downrigging demonstrations aboard FRIENDSHIP. Join us for a sail and follow-up your stint on the water at Finz restaurant from 7-10PM on Saturday night for drinks, free appetizers, music, raffles and plenty of salty sailing wisdom.
Inspired by the SULTANA Downrigging Weekend, the Salem Downrigging Weekend is a celebration of the end of the sailing season, maritime culture, wooded boats and the sailing heritage of the Essex county. The Captains of the FAME, ARDELLE, THOMAS LANNON, Salem Maritime National Historic Site, and Essex National Heritage Area are partnering together to offer this weekend of activities - both on land and sea.
Join us for 6 public sails, 6 live demonstrations, 2 films, 3 Q&A sessions with captains, ship tours and more! Public sails require a reservation and fee, but all other activities are free and open to the public.
Schedule of Events
- Make sail reservations online for all vessels via the Schooner FAME website at www.zerve.com/SchoonerFame/Downrig
- Please make a note of the individual trip times (see below) for each vessel. When making a reservation, choose the reservation time that matches the vessel you'd like to sail.
- FAME sails: 10:30am, 1:00pm, 3:00pm.
- ARDELLE sails: 11:30am, 2:00pm.
- LANNON sails: 4:30pm.
- 10:30 - 4:30PM. Public sails aboard FAME, ARDELLE, THOMAS LANNON.
- 11AM - 4PM. FRIENDSHIP open for public visitation.
- 11AM - Live demonstration aboard FRIENDSHIP.
- 12:30PM - Free screening of the THOMAS LANNON movie, plus Q&A session with Captain.
- 2:30PM - Live demonstration aboard FRIENDSHIP.
- 4:30PM - Free screening of the FAME movie, plus Q&A session with Captain.
- 7PM - 10PM. "Downrig or Die" evening event at Finz Restaurant.
- 11AM - Splicing workshop aboard FAME.
- 12PM - ARDELLE downrigging demonstration.
- 1PM - LANNON downrigging demonstration.
- 2PM - FRIENDSHIP downrigging demonstration. Q&A session with Captain on the ongoing preservation and maintenance program for FRIENDSHIP.
All vessels will be docked at Salem Maritime National Historic Site (173 Derby Street) or Pickering Wharf Marina (23 Congress Street). The free film screenings will be held in St. Joseph Hall, 2nd floor. (160 Derby Street). Visit www.nps.gov/sama for the complete schedule and updated information.