|Subscribe | What is RSS|
Contact: Lynn Cullivan, 415-561-7006
- What: Three-hour public interpretive sails on San Francisco Bay aboard the restored, National Historic Landmark scow schooner Alma.
- When: Selected Fridays and Saturdays, June 9 through November 17, 2018. Sailing time 1:00-4:00pm (boarding at 12:30pm).
- Where: Alma departs from San Francisco Maritime National Historical Park’s Hyde Street Pier, 2905 Hyde Street, San Francisco, CA 94109.
- Fees: Adults, $40. Ages 62 and over, $30. Ages 6–15, $20. Ages 5 and under, free (accompanied by an adult).
- Tickets: Reserve at https://go.usa.gov/x5k7m and enter “San Francisco Maritime” in the search box, or call 1-877-444-6777. Limited spaces may be available at the Hyde Street Pier ticket booth on sailing days, 9:30am-noon.
- Alma info: 415-447-5000, or http://www.nps.gov/safr/historyculture/alma.htm
On Alma family sailing adventures passengers can choose to join the crew in hauling lines and raising sail, or just relax and enjoy the ride. During the three-hour program, a National Park Service Ranger will spin tales of San Francisco’s rich maritime history: of Native Americans, Spanish explorers, bridge building, the Gold Rush, Alcatraz and Angel Islands, the infamous Barbary Coast (where sailors were shanghaied into long ocean voyages), and more. Built near Hunters Point, on the SF Bay shoreline, and now the last of her kind, Alma offers a unique, hands-on National Park Service learning experience.
NOTE: Boarding is at 12:30, departing Hyde Street pier at 1:00. Be prepared for cold, wind, spray, and bright sun. Life jackets and flotation devices are provided. Bring water (no alcohol permitted), snacks, hat, sunglasses, sunscreen, layers of clothing, closed toe “active’ footwear (no high heels), camera, binoculars, and a sense of adventure! Trip may be cancelled due to weather, or other safety concerns, at discretion of the captain.
Located at the west end of Fisherman’s Wharf, San Francisco Maritime National Historical Park includes a fleet of historic ships, Visitor Center, Maritime Museum, Maritime Research Center, and the Aquatic Park Historic District. For more information, please call 415-447-5000 or visit nps.gov/safr, Twitter @SFMaritimeNPS, and Facebook @SanFranciscoMaritimeNHP. The Park offers assisted listening services on request. Sign Language interpreter services need to be requested at least five days in advance. Contact Accessibility Coordinator/Chief of Interpretation for more information at 415-859-6797, or e-mail us.