013 - Rabbit Ears
- Respect Wildness... Practice the 7 Leave No Trace Ethics
- Plan ahead and prepare: Plan your trip carefully. Prepare for extreme weather, hazards and emergencies. Plan for the least experienced member of your party.
- Travel and camp on durable surfaces: Hike single file in the middle of the trail or side by side in areas without trails. Camp in hardened areas only, not in meadows or on vegetation.
- Dispose of waste properly: Pick up all spilled foods and trash. Disperse washing and cooking wastewater 70 adult steps (200 feet/60 meters) from camps and all water sources. Leave no evidence of your stay.
- Leave what you find: Leave plants, rocks, antlers and artifacts as you find them for others to enjoy.
- Minimize campfire impacts: CAMPFIRES PROHIBITED AT THIS SITE. Use portable stoves only.
- Respect Wildlife: Use carry-in/carry-out bear resistant food storage canister April 1 through October 31. Minimize noise. Avoid lakes and streams at dawn and dusk.
- Be considerate of other visitors: Respect the quality of every visitor’s experience.
EMERGENCIES: In case of emergency, call 911. Area map shows the location of the nearest phone.
Site Location: Site is south of trail in an open area surrounded by trees. Site is below ridge where two upright rocks look like rabbit ears. A wood sign indicates the path to the site; the path may be marked by red arrowheads on trees. Camp safely away from standing dead trees, as near as is safely possible to the silver metal arrowhead.
Number of Sites: 1
Elevation: 8,100 feet
Distance: 1.4 miles from Cow Creek TH, 5.0 miles from Lumpy Ridge TH via Gem Lake, 6.1 miles from Lumpy Ridge TH via Black Canyon Trail
Approximate Travel Time: 1 hour from Cow Creek TH, 5 to 7 hours from Lumpy Ridge TH
Elevation Change: 260 feet gain from Cow Creek TH, net gain 260 feet from Lumpy Ridge TH (1,090 feet gain; 830 feet loss)
Water Source: Water is available from creek. Boil or adequately treat all water.
To Reach the Trailhead (TH): Cow Creek TH: From Bond Park in downtown Estes Park drive 3.5 miles on MacGregor Avenue/Devils Gulch Road to the McGraw Ranch Road sign. Veer left, stay on the main dirt road and drive slowly for approximately 2.5 miles to the TH. The TH parking is along the road close to McGraw Ranch. Park only in the designated parking area by the side of the road.