Enjoy Rocky While You Enjoy Your Picnic!
Pack a picnic and enjoy the beautiful sights and sounds of Rocky Mountain National Park in the many picnic areas spread throughout the park (except on the alpine tundra). Rocky is open year-round, 24/7. During reservation dates and times, a reservation will be required to access picnic areas. Details are in the chart below. All park picnic areas are first-come, first-served except Lily Lake Group Site (see chart, available by reservation only, $350 administrative fee).
- Leashed dogs and cats are permitted within established campgrounds and picnic areas. REMEMBER: dogs, cats, and other pets are prohibited in all areas of Rocky Mountain National Park not accessible by motor vehicles, including ALL trails, tundra, and meadows.
- Campfires are permitted in designated picnic areas, and only in metal fire grates provided by the park for such use. All park picnic areas and other areas are closed to the collection of firewood. If you choose to bring in firewood for a campfire in a metal fire grate, please inspect the wood closely to ensure it does not harbor any insects. You must ensure your campfire is completely extinguished.
- The use of disposable or portable charcoal grills, wood fuel camp stoves, petroleum fuel/gas stoves, and gas grills is allowed for food preparation as adjuncts to fire grates provided by the park in some picnic areas (see chart). Where portable grills are allowed, the used charcoal and ash must be completely extinguished and disposed of in trash receptacle.
- Day use picnicking is prohibited in all park campgrounds during camping reservation season. Off-season picnicking in campgrounds has no additional fee, but you must ensure your campfire is completely extinguished. Any picnicking which interferes with overnight campers is prohibited at all times.
- Horses and other stock are not permitted in picnic areas.
- Summer 2023, a temporary vehicle timed entry permit system has been put in place for all of Rocky Mountain National Park between May 26 – October 22. In all areas of the park, a park entrance fee or pass is required. There are two options available:Park Access provides access for all areas of Rocky Mountain National Park, excluding the Bear Lake Road Corridor between 9:00 am – 2:00 pm. Park Access+ is best for visitors interested in accessing Bear Lake Road Corridor between 5:00 am – 6:00 pm. Timed Entry Permit Reservations are not required outside of the specified times above.Reservations are needed during reservation times parkwide. More information and reservations at www.recreation.gov, use the Recreation.gov Mobile App, or call 877-444-6777