For their long term protection, many park roads and parking areas will be resurfaced this summer. Since Rocky Mountain National Park is high in elevation with a low average temperature, this work must take place during summer. Work will not take place during weekends or holidays.
- Since 2016, park staff have restricted vehicle access in the Bear Lake Road corridor when parking areas filled and heavy congestion warranted. Due to less parking availability, particularly beginning Monday, July 22, visitors planning to hike in the Bear Lake corridor should plan for vehicle restrictions to occur earlier in the morning.
- Due to limited parking, park visitors are encouraged to board the Hiker Shuttle. This shuttle runs every 30 minutes from the Estes Park Visitor Center to the Park & Ride on Bear Lake Road. Expect wait times to board the shuttles.
Bear Lake Road
- Crack sealing will take place the week of July 8.
- Traffic will be reduced to one lane; up to 20 minute rolling delays should be expected.
Beaver Meadows Visitor Center and Parking Lot
- From 9 p.m. Monday, July 8, through 7 a.m. Wednesday, July 10, Beaver Meadows Visitor Center and Parking Area will be closed to all uses.
- Visitors entering the park from the east side on Tuesday, July 9, are encouraged to visit the Fall River Visitor Center that day.
- Longs Peak Campground will be closed for resurfacing from Monday, June 24, through Thursday, June 27.
Park & Ride
- Beginning Monday, July 22, staging for the resurfacing project will take place in Park & Ride. The staging area will fill approximately 100 parking spaces, making these unavailable to the public until the fall.
Other areas will be impacted at times throughout the summer. Park visitors should expect rolling delays of up to 20 minutes during road work. Specific work dates will be provided once they are scheduled. Areas to be affected include:
- Glacier Gorge Trailhead Parking Lot: Closed 8 p.m. Wednesday, July 10 through 7 a.m. Friday, July 12
- Lawn Lake Parking Lot: Closed 8 p.m. Tuesday, July 9, through 7 a.m. Thursday, July 11
- Rainbow Curve Parking Area: Closed 9 p.m. Tuesday, July 9, through 7 a.m. Thursday, July 11
- Sheep Lakes Parking Lot: Closed Noon Wednesday, July 10, through Thursday, July 11
- Lumpy Ridge Access Road
- Sections of Trail Ridge Road
- Beaver Meadows Visitor Center Parking Lot
- Forest Canyon Overlook Parking Area
- Horseshoe Park Overlook
- Lava Cliffs Parking Area
- Rock Cut Parking Area
- Numerous smaller parking areas and overlooks