Anniversary of the Battle of Drewry's Bluff

Subscribe RSS Icon | What is RSS
Date: May 9, 2007
Contact: Mike Andrus, 804  226-1981 x. 30

National Park Service volunteers portraying Confederate sailors of the James River Squadron will be camped at historic Drewry’s Bluff in Chesterfield County on Saturday, May 19 and Sunday, May 20. Their camp will be open on Saturday from 10:00 until 5:00 and on Sunday from 10:00 until 4:00. During the day there will be demonstrations, displays, and talks in camp focusing on military life and the role of the fort in the defense of Richmond.

During the Civil War Drewry’s Bluff was known as a “Perfect Gibraltar” along the James River protecting the city of Richmond. In May of 1862, while the defenses at Drewry’s Bluff were still under construction, a Federal fleet including the famous ironclad U.S.S. Monitor sailed up the James with plans to shell Richmond into submission. On May 15 that fleet was stopped at Richmond’s last line of defense – Drewry’s Bluff. Throughout the weekend ranger-conducted walking tours will tell the story of how Confederate soldiers, sailors and marines repulsed this Federal fleet.

Drewry’s Bluff is one of 13 Civil War sites protected by Richmond National Battlefield Park around the city of Richmond, Virginia. The site is located south of Richmond, off of Jefferson Davis Highway (Route 1) at Bellwood Road in Chesterfield County. All programs are free. For further information, visit the National Park Service headquarters at Chimborazo Park or call 226-1981.



Last updated: February 26, 2015

Contact the Park

Mailing Address:

3215 E. Broad Street
Richmond, VA 23223

Phone:

(804) 226-1981

Contact Us