|Subscribe | What is RSS|
Contact: Mike Litterst, 804 226-1981 x. 30
National Park Service volunteers portraying Confederate sailors of the James River Squadron will be camped at historic Drewry’s Bluff (7600 Fort Darling Road in Chesterfield County) on Saturday, October 2 and Sunday, October 3. Special programs will include demonstrations of loading the fort's heavy artillery and displays featuring torpedoes used to mine the James River along with naval arms and equipment. Throughout the weekend staff will offer talks on the role of Fort Drewry in the defense of Richmond, especially the May 1862 battle where Confederate sailors, soldiers and Marines repulsed the Union navy's advance on Richmond. Camps will be open on Saturday from 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. and on Sunday from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. All events are free.
During the Civil War Drewry’s Bluff was called a “Perfect Gibraltar” along the James River protecting the city of Richmond. The fort and surrounding grounds served as a camp of instruction for the Confederate Marine Corps, as well as home to midshipmen of the Confederate Naval Academy. Today the park contains some of the best preserved earthen fortifications around Richmond and offers a spectacular view of the James River.
Drewry’s Bluff is one of 13 Civil War sites protected by Richmond National Battlefield Park around the city of Richmond, Virginia. The site is located south of Richmond, off of Jefferson Davis Highway (Route 1) at Bellwood Road in Chesterfield County. All programs are free. For further information, visit the National Park Service headquarters at Chimborazo Park or call 226-1981 x23.