2013 National Park System Advisory Board Report - new
Engaging Independent Perspectives for a 21st-Century National Park System
2013 National Park System Advisory Board Report
Download the Full Report (PDF)
In 2013, with the National Park Service Centennial on the horizon, the NPSAB began to seize a great opportunity to connect all Americans with the nation's most special natural and cultural resources. To advance the priority objectives of the NPS as it started to strategize about its next century of service, the National Park System Advisory Board enlisted the involvement of a distinguished group of more than 100 outside subject matter experts to help address specific work.
After receiving NPS Director Jarvis' request in 2010 to address the priorities of stewardship, education, relevancy, and the NPS workforce, the National Park System Advisory Board focused on separate tasks designed to:
Foster Resource Stewardship
1. Plan for a Future National Park System
Offer guidance for developing a new National Park System plan.
Lead: Gretchen Long
- Task 1 Summary (PDF)
- National Park System Advisory Board Planning Committee Report (PDF)
- Appendix A - Where the Parks Are (And Are Not): A Comparative Analysis by State (PDF)
- Appendix B - Natural Resources Gap Analysis: Conservation Tools for National Parks System Management in a Changing World (PDF)
- Appendix C - Cultural Resources Subcommittee Report (PDF)
- Appendix D - Large Landscape Conservation Case Studies (PDF)
- Appendix E - Notes on New Models for the National Park System (PDF)
- Appendix F - Urban Sub Group Report (PDF)
2. Recommend National Historic Landmarks (NHLs)
Expand work to recommend a broader, richer representation of America's story in the designation of NHLs.
Lead: Ronald M. James
- Task 2 Summary (PDF)
- National Historic Landmarks Committee Report, Dec 2012 (PDF)
- National Historic Landmarks Program
3. Recommend National Natural Landmarks (NNLs)
Enhance the NNL program by exploring new opportunities to engage additional public and private support, increase awareness of America's diverse natural history, and support the conservation work of NNL owners.
Lead: Belinda Faustinos
4. Support Economic Valuation
Support measurement of the total economic value of the NPS including cooperative programs outside the National Park System.
Lead: Professor Linda Bilmes
- Task 4 Summary (PDF)
- Blueprint report phase 1a (PDF)
- Blueprint report phase 1b (PDF) (report added December 31, 2013)
- Joshua Tree National Park Case Study (PDF)
5. Revisit the "Leopold Report"
Prepare a contemporary version of the 1963 Leopold Report to help the NPS confront modern challenges in resource management.
Lead:Dr. Rita R. Colwell
Broaden Alliances for Education
6. Expand Collaboration in Education
Help the NPS broaden contacts with educational institutions, expand collaboration with K-12 educational systems, and incorporate parks and programs into educational media.
Lead: Dr. Milton Chen
- Task 6 Summary (PDF)
- U.S. Department of Education and National Park Service educational message (YouTube)
- NPSAB Education Committee FY12 Accomplishments Report, October, 2012 (PDF)
- NPSAB Partnership Subcommittee White Paper, October, 2012 (PDF)
- NPSAB Technology Subcommittee White Paper, October, 2012 (PDF)
- Family Learning in Free-Choice Educational Settings: A Review of the Literature for the National Park Service, 2012 (PDF)
Increase National Relevancy
7. Explore American Latino Heritage
Develop a theme study to identify American Latino-related places for their significance and recognition in potential new national landmarks and national parks, as well as in existing NPS sites.
Lead: Belinda Faustinos
8. Support the NPS Centennial Campaign
Provide advice for a centennial public awareness initiative to highlight the national park idea.
Lead: Leonore Blitz
9. Build Community Relationships
Explore new approaches for broader relevancy and public engagement. Help identify and recruit partners in diverse communities.
Lead: Dr. Carolyn Finney
- Task 9 Summary (PDF)
- A Toolkit for Engaging Communities and Fostering Relationships (PDF)
- Toolkit Support Materials
Advance Workforce Innovations
10. Support Leadership Development
Provide advice on NPS leadership, workforce, organizational development, and more effectively advancing innovation.
Lead: Dr. Margaret Wheatley
Last updated: September 7, 2016