There are two historically significant bridges within Prince William Forest Park - learn more about their history and construction.
South Fork Quantico Creek Bridge
Originally constructed in 1939 by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC), the South Fork Quantico Creek Bridge design and construction represents a renewal of interest in rustic forms of architecture that also influenced the construction of this bridge. This style highlighted the use of "native" materials: readily available in the surroundings and natural to a park's environment.
North Fork Quantico Creek Bridge
The North Fork Quantico Creek Bridge is representative of a common bridge type of the late nineteenth to early twentieth century America. It is a low Pratt pony metal truss bridge. The bridge predates the park's development and existence. Its present use as a trail bridge is in keeping with the original intention of Prince William Forest Park as a preserved wilderness. As one of the last physical remnants remaining from the mining activities in this region of Prince William County, the bridge is linked to earlier land use in the area.
Last updated: December 15, 2018