Point Reyes National Seashore contains three picnic areas, plus a number of sites at various locations in the park at which there are one or two picnic tables. Use of the picnic areas are free of charge and first-come, first-served, except for a reservable group section at the Bear Valley picnic area. Descriptions and photos of the various locations where picnic tables may be found below. The descriptions of the picnic areas/tables are accurate as of March 2018.
Rules for Picnicking:
- Leaving food unattended is prohibited.
- Don't feed the wildlife.
- Don't litter. Take all waste home or dispose of all waste in garbage and/or recycling receptacles provided. Please don't put any non-recyclable materials in recycling receptacles.
- Leave No Trace. Do not carve into the picnic tables.
- Charcoal Grills:
- Wood fires are prohibited. Visit our Beach Fires page for information about building wood fires in the national seashore.
- Only charcoal briquettes are permitted in the charcoal grills provided.
- Charcoal fires must be attended anytime they are generating heat. Do not depart until the coals and ashes are cold to the touch.
- Visitors are welcome to use their own small portable barbecues. All ash and used and unused briquettes must be packed out of the park.
- If you move picnic tables, move them back to where you found them when you are finished.
- Picnicking is permitted within all designated campgrounds; however, picnickers must yield campsites to persons with camping permits.
- A designated section of Bear Valley picnic area is available by reservation to groups of up to seventy-five (75) people. Contact the Special Park Uses office at 415-464-5111 to reserve this section.
- Groups of over 100 people who wish to picnic in the park must first obtain a permit. Because there are limited places in the park which can accommodate a picnic group of this size, and to minimize the impact of such a group on other visitors, a permit system is necessary for groups of 100 or more. Contact the Special Park Uses office at 415-464-5111 for more information.