The volunteer position is part of a larger museum project focused on scanning and making existing digital images in the museum collection available on park web site and in other databases. The overall project goals are populating a master image database with descriptive keywords for search functions, adding museum object images to the NPS museum catalog, structuring and posting selected images to the park website for a research catalog.
- Working with photographic negative and positive images
- Scanning, validating catalog numbers in associated databases
- Importing or entering data and keywords into databases for photographs
- Database management and backup
Training provided in navigating NPS and other specific databases and file structures involved in project, scanning protocols, network structure involved in project, and image collection storage.
- Knowledge and experience working with databases, especially but not limited to Extensis Portfolio
- Knowledge and experience scanning images
- Interest in historic photos
- Requires careful handling and technical skills, organization, and multi-tasking
Benefits to the Volunteer
Work with museum professionals, increase access to museum collections.
Schedule and Time Commitment
The program is available Monday through Friday, 24 hours/week, flexible schedule.
Housing and/or RV sites are unavailable for this position.
Application and Contact Information
Please apply under the Current Opportunities listing. For information please contact Carola DeRooy at 415-464-5125 or by email.
Top of Page