Last updated: July 25, 2023
Parking - Auto, Trailhead
The Olema Valley (South) Trailhead is located on the west side of Highway 1 (aka Shoreline Highway) 8.3 miles (13.3 km) south of Olema and across the road from the McCurdy Trailhead. The Olema Valley Trail stretches 5.3 miles north to the Five Brooks Trailhead, intersecting with the Teixeira and Bolema Trails, both of which lead west up to the Ridge Trail along the crest of Inverness Ridge and into the Phillip Burton Wilderness. It also intersects with a short 0.5-mile-long (0.8-km-long) connector trail that leads to the Randall Trailhead. Pets are prohibited on Olema Valley Trail and on the other trails west of Highway 1.
Suggested Routes From This Trailhead
- Hike or bike the McCurdy–Bolinas Ridge–Randall–Olema Valley loop: 8.6 miles (13.8 km) roundtrip, strenuous
- Hike the Teixeira–Ridge–Bolema–Olema Valley loop: 10.1 (16.2 km) roundtrip, strenuous
- Take only pictures; leave only footprints: Almost everything one finds at Point Reyes is protected by law, including shells, rocks, fossils, flowers, and artifacts.
- Please only travel on authorized trails, respect posted signs, and practice Leave No Trace principles when recreating in the park.
- Check current conditions and trail advisories and closures before your visit.
- Bicycles are permitted on the Olema Valley, McCurdy, Bolinas Ridge, and Randall trails. Bicycles are prohibited on the Teixeira, Ridge, and Bolema trails, which pass through the Phillip Burton Wilderness.
- Pets are prohibited on the trails in this area within Point Reyes National Seashore (e.g., the trails west of Highway 1). Pets are permitted on the McCurdy, Bolinas Ridge, and Randall trails within Golden Gate National Recreation Area. They must remain on a leash (shorter than 6 feet) at all times. Visit our Pets page to learn where pets are permitted at Point Reyes National Seashore.
- Horses and pack animals are permitted on most park trails, including those that depart from these trailheads. Please visit our Horse Riding page for more information.
- Drones are not permitted anywhere in Point Reyes National Seashore or in Golden Gate National Recreation Area.
Space for parking at the Olema Valley (South) Trailhead and the McCurdy Trailhead consists of a very short paved shoulder on the west side of Highway 1 (aka Shoreline Highway) 8.3 miles (13.3 km) south of Olema. These trailheads are approximately 20 minutes by car from the Bear Valley Visitor Center. Please make sure your parked vehicle is completely off the highway and entirely out of the lane of travel.