Last updated: January 11, 2024
Parking - Auto, Trailhead
The Marshall Beach Trailhead is located at the north end of the unpaved L Ranch Road, which branches off of Pierce Point Road. The Marshall Beach Trail traverses 1.2 miles (1.9 km) as it descends ~350 feet (~105 meters) in elevation to Marshall Beach on the shore of Tomales Bay.
Suggested Routes From This Trailhead
Hike the Marshall Beach Trail: 2.4 miles (3.8 km) roundtrip, moderate – bikes permitted
App Users: For more information on this specific route, press the "Things to Do" icon on the park's homepage and select "Hiking" from the list of activities. Find the option listed above, or browse routes that begin at the park's other trailheads.
- The Marshall Beach Trail is for day-use only; all overnight campers must have a permit and must arrive at Marshall Beach via the water, i.e., by boat, kayak, canoe, etc..
- Parking vehicles overnight at the Marshall Beach trailhead is prohibited.
- Take only pictures; leave only footprints: Almost everything one finds at Point Reyes is protected by law, including shells, rocks, fossils, flowers, and artifacts.
- Please only travel on authorized trails, respect posted signs, and practice Leave No Trace principles when recreating in the park.
- Check current conditions and trail advisories and closures before your visit.
- Bicycles are permitted on the Marshall Beach Trail.
- Pets are not permitted on the Marshall Beach Trail. Visit our Pets page to learn where pets are permitted at Point Reyes National Seashore.
- Horses and pack animals are permitted on the Marshall Beach Trail. Please visit our Horse Riding page for more information.
- Drones are not permitted anywhere in Point Reyes National Seashore.
- Glass: Glass containers are prohibited on all Point Reyes Beaches.
The Marshall Beach Trailhead parking lot is approximately 25 minutes by car from the Bear Valley Visitor Center. There is a dirt parking lot at the north end of L Ranch Roadside of Pierce Point Road 2.6 miles (4.2 km) from its junction with Pierce Point Road.