- Fifteen partner sites spread across eight counties in west-central Ohio conserve, interpret, and promote the resources associated with the development of the aviation and aerospace industry in America.
- National Heritage Area
- OPEN TO PUBLIC:
- MANAGED BY:
- National Aviation Heritage Area Alliance
Aviation is chock-full of tradition & history and nowhere will you find a richer collection of aviation than here, the birthplace of aviation, the National Aviation Heritage Area. From the straightforward bicycle shops that fostered the Wright brothers' flying ambitions to the complex spacecraft that carried man to the moon, the National Aviation Heritage Area has everything you need to learn about this country’s aviation and aerospace legacy.
The National Aviation Heritage Area consists of fifteen partner sites in the west-central Ohio area. This National Heritage Area preserves and promotes the rich aviation legacy of the region that began with the Wright brothers and continues to the current day with Dayton’s leadership in aerospace development. The National Aviation Heritage Area includes the five National Park Service sites that make up Dayton Aviation Heritage National Historical Park.
The National Aviation Heritage Area was enacted by Congress and signed by President George W. Bush on December 8th, 2004. The intent of the National Aviation Heritage Area is to promote heritage tourism and develop educational and cultural programs for the public while preserving certain lands, structure, facilities and sites within the heritage area. The National Aviation Heritage Area is guided by the National Aviation Heritage Alliance, a private, not for profit corporation designated by Congress as the management entity of the heritage area.
The National Aviation Heritage Area includes the following sites:
- Air Camp
- Armstrong Air & Space Museum
- Aviation Trail, Inc. Visitor Center & Parachute Museum
- Dayton Aviation Heritage National Historical Park
- Dayton History
- Greene County Historical Society
- Historic Grimes Field
- Historic WACO Field
- Historic Woodland Cemetery & Arboretum
- National Aviation Hall of Fame
- National Museum of the United States Air Force
- Wright B Flyer, Inc.
- Wright Image Group
- Wright State University Wright Archives
- Vectren Dayton Air Show