Place

Mission Tejas State Park

A wood cabin in a green forest.
Mission Tejas State Park

Photo/NPS

Quick Facts

Historical/Interpretive Information/Exhibits

Mission San Francisco de los Tejas, the first Spanish mission in the province of Texas, was established in 1690 on San Pedro Creek just east of the site of present-day Augusta. It was abandoned in 1693 and then reestablished in 1716 in nearby Cherokee County. This second mission lasted until approximately 1730. The first site of this mission has not been found. In 1934, the Civilian Conservation Corps built a commemorative representation of the 1690 mission at the park site. The park was managed by the Texas Forest Service until it became a state park in 1956. The Rice Family log home, which was built by Joseph Rice Sr. between 1828 and 1838, is one of the oldest structures in the area. It initially served as a stopover for immigrants, adventurers, and local residents traveling the Old San Antonio Road.

The pine forests and grassy fields possess remarkable visual integrity, giving visitors a good idea what the landscape looked like hundreds of years ago.

Site Information

Safety Considerations

Available Facilities: The park offers fishing, picnicking, campsites, and group facilities as well as a commemorative representation of Mission San Francisco de los Tejas.

Exhibits: The park offers pioneer skills demonstrations, as well as school tours of the two historic structures.

More site information

El Camino Real de los Tejas National Historic Trail

El Camino Real de los Tejas National Historic Trail

Last updated: November 29, 2021