Winsor Castle

To begin your tour, click on a number on the picture below or click "Begin Tour in the Courtyard" at the bottom of the page. The Winsor Castle virtual tour will take between twenty to thirty minutes to complete. Click the "continue" or "back" arrows at the bottom of each page to navigate between pages/rooms.

Winsor Castle courtyardParlorMeeting RoomKitchenMaster BedroomTelegraph RoomMiddle BedroomSoutheast BedroomSpring RoomCheese Room
 
In 1870, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (the Mormons) began construction of a fortified ranch house at Pipe Spring. The ranch house/fort was designed as both headquarters for a tithing cattle ranch and as protection from attacks. The Mormon settlers did not particularly fear the Paiutes, which at that time inhabited much of the Arizona Strip, but the Navajo, who would cross the Colorado River at low water and raid both the Paiutes and the Mormon settlers.

The fortified ranch house was constructed directly over Pipe Spring. The Mormons were only the latest group to be drawn to Pipe Spring, which had attracted people for centuries. The Ancestral Puebloans (formerly Anasazi) inhabited the area from approximately 1 A.D. to 1200 A.D. The Paiute tribe followed the Ancestral Puebloans, and had lived in the Pipe Spring region for nearly three centuries by the time European settlers began moving into this area.

Contact the Park

Mailing Address:

Pipe Spring National Monument
HC 65 Box 5
406 Pipe Springs Road

Fredonia, AZ 86022

Phone:

(928) 643-7105

Contact Us