Special Use Permits

A special park use is a short-term activity that takes place in a park area and:
• Provides a benefit to an individual, group or organization, rather than the public at large;
• Requires written authorization and some degree of management control from the NPS in order to protect park resources and the public interest;
• Is not prohibited by law or regulation; and
• Is neither initiated, sponsored, nor conducted by the NPS.

Example of activities requiring a Special Use Permit within Pipe Spring include weddings, memorial services, commercial filming and/or photography, special assemblies, First Amendment Activities, and/or collection of resource materials.

To receive consideration, all requests for Special Use Permits must be made at least three weeks in advance (With the exception of First Amendment Activities requiring a permit which must be received at least 10 days in advance). e-mail us if you have questions on whether you need an SUP

First Amendment Activities

Freedom of speech, press, religion, and assembly are constitutional rights. However, the courts have recognized that activities associated with the exercise of these rights may be reasonably regulated to protect park resources. The necessity of a permit to conduct First Amendment activities is determined by the group size.

A small group is defined as "25 people or less." A "small group" is not required to obtain a First Amendment Permit if they are located within a park designated First Amendment site and have no more than leaflets, booklets and/or hand held signs. A permit is required for any small group that:
a. Wants to hold a demonstration or distribute and/or sell printed matter somewhere outside a designated First Amendment area.
b. Wants to use equipment (i.e. tables, banners, platforms, etc.) even if it is within a designated area.
c. Is merely an extension of another group already availing itself of the 25 person maximum.
d. Wants to guarantee they will have priority for the use of a location, including the designated First Amendment areas.

A large group is defined as "more than 25 people" and is required to obtain a First Amendment Permit even if they are utilizing a park designated First Amendment site.
Some examples of special events that fall under First Amendment Rules:
• Distribution and/or sale of printed matter
• Religious services
• Public demonstrations or assemblies, etc.

Pipe Spring Designated First Amendment Area is located within the orchard on the monument (See Map).

There are no permit fees associated with First Amendment permits. Pursuant to the 2010 NPS Interim Regulations, parks have up to 10 days to process a fully executed application that seeks to engage in a demonstration or the sale or distribution of printed matter.


Step 1: Download & fill out the application form (see link below.)
Step 2: Pay the fee applicable to your application Electronically through Zion National Park's pay.gov account. (Details are found within the application paperwork or on the information page specific to your activity.)
Step 3: Email the completed application form (email address is on the form).
Step 4: If your request is approved, a permit containing applicable terms and conditions will be sent you. The permit must be signed by the responsible person and returned to the park for final approval by the Park Superintendent before the permitted activity begins.

Click here for Pipe Spring Special Use Permit Application

Click Here for Commercial Filming and Still Photography Requirements and Application

Last updated: February 15, 2019

Contact the Park

Mailing Address:

Pipe Spring National Monument
HC 65 Box 5
406 Pipe Springs Road

Fredonia, AZ 86022


(928) 643-7105

Contact Us