Many environmental factors face the National Park Service, Perry's Victory and International Peace Memorial, and the Great Lakes Region. These factors include Non-native species such as Zebra Mussels, Emerald Ash Bore, and Asian Carp; climate change, and pollution to name a few.
Great Lakes Restoration Initiative
The Great Lakes Restoration Initiative is the largest investment in the Great Lakes in two decades. A task force of 11 federal agencies developed an action plan to implement the initiative. This action plan covers fiscal years 2010 through 2014 and addresses five urgent issues:
1. Cleaning up toxics and areas of concern;
2. Combating invasive species;
3. Promoting nearshore health by protecting watersheds from polluted run-off;
4. Restoring wetlands and other habitats; and
5. Tracking progress and working with strategic partners.
More information about the GLRI can be found here.
Last updated: April 10, 2015