Permits & Reservations

Program Reservations

Would you like to attend a Ranger program or tour but your schedule just won't allow it? Maybe you're entertaining company from out of town.

Palo Alto Battlefield does its best to accommodate special program and tour requests. Tour and program requests must be for groups of eight or more and must be made at least two weeks in advance. Requests are dependent upon available staffing. Call (956) 541-2785 x333 or email us for more information.

Are you planning a community event or program and think Palo Alto Battlefield would be a perfect fit? Please email us.

Special Park Use Permits

Special Park Use Permits are required for activities that provide a benefit to an individual, group or organization, rather than the public at large. Special events also require some degree of management from the National Park Service staff in order to protect park resources and the public interest. Examples of special events that likely require a permit include the scattering of ashes, sporting events, festivals, concerts, weddings, and other large gatherings such as cultural demonstrations, group picnics, or family reunions.

These activities must not detract from:

  • the park's resources or values
  • the visitor experience
  • the park's mission

Regulations covering special events can be found at 36 CFR 2.50. Park-specific regulations and policies are found in the Superintendent's Compendium (PDF 1.25 MB).


For more information about Special Use Permit forms, contact us at (956) 541-2785 or email us.

Commercial Filming & Photography

How do I apply for a permit?

Permit applications are available through our Special Use Permit Coordinator. You should submit a completed application along with the application fee to the park where you want to film or photograph as far in advance of your planned date as possible. In addition, you should request a meeting with park staff if your proposed activity is unusual or complex. Early consultation with park staff will help them process the submitted application in a timely manner.

What fees will I have to pay?

The National Park Service will collect a cost recovery charge and a location fee for still photography permits. Cost recovery includes an application fee and any additional charges to cover the costs incurred by the National Park Service in processing your request and monitoring your permit. This amount will vary depending on the park and the size and complexity of your permit. The application fee must be submitted with your application.

Are there other permit requirements?

You may be required to obtain liability insurance naming the United States as additionally insured in an amount commensurate with the risk posed to park resources by your proposed activity. You may also be asked to post a bond to ensure the payment of all charges and fees and the restoration of the area if necessary.

Last updated: May 15, 2023

Park footer

Contact Info

Mailing Address:

600 E. Harrison Street
Room 1006

Brownsville, TX 78520


956 541-2785 x333

Contact Us