News Release Date: May 15, 2018
Contact: Kevin M. PorterIn April, 2018, SEAC Archeologists continued the three-year geophysical survey at Andersonville National Historic Site. The single focus on this visit was the Third Hospital (or Shed Hospital) site area, located south of the prison enclosure. The Third Hospital was in use from December 1864 to April 1865, but its exact location has been largely unknown. Analysis of the data, collected from 17,000 m² surveyed, has revealed what appears to be a portion of the western and northern stockade walls of the Third Hospital Enclosure; as well as part of the enclosure’s middle stockade. A total of 34,600 m² have now been surveyed at Andersonville. SEAC will continue the geophysical survey in various portions of the park, with upcoming efforts focused on the Third Hospital site’s stockade and its interior, the Market Street area near the prion’s North Gate, and possibly the Second Hospital site located to the southeast of the prison enclosure.