Last updated: November 27, 2017
When planning a field trip to Ocmulgee, please consider the following:
- To schedule a field trip we ask that you call or fill out this Google form. We ask that you request the field trip at least two weeks in advance. Please call (478) 752-8257 ext. 222 between 9:00 am-5:00 pm daily.
- If a ranger is available we will give a 15 minute orientaion to the school group. Our Education staff is only composed of two people, so you may tour the grounds on your own.
- Most schools spend between 2-3 hours at the park. The mounds are spread out and may not want to walk to all them. Most school groups walk the one mile (round trip) to the largest mound in the park(Great Temple Mound). We suggest that everyone stop by the Earth Lodge to see the 1,000 year old floor on their way to the large mound. If your school comes in a standard school bus you cannot drive to the mounds because of the historic railroad tunnel that has a 8 foot clearance.
- The Visitor Center contains over 2,000 artifacts on display that were found during our excavations on site. The museum contains artifacts from 10,000 BCE to 1800's. The museum has a 50 seat theater with a 17 minute orientation film. We ask that you split your students into groups of 50 inside the museum so we can seat them in the theater comfortability.
- The Earth Lodge is a reconstructed council chamber, or social meeting place. The reconstructed walls and roof help to protect the original floor which is 1,000 years old. Only 25 students can fit in the earth lodge at a time.
- The Great Temple Mound is situated about 1/2 of a mile from the Visitor Center. The path to the mound takes you over a railroad cut and past the site of the 1690's British Trading Post. Once you arrive on top of the Great Temple Mound you can see downtown Macon.
- The Picnic Area has seating for 50-75 students. The picnic area is on a first come, first serve basis. The picnic area is not covered so if there is inclement weather the only place to eat is on the school buses. If you are using the picnic area please let the rangers at the front desk know so we can give you extra trash bags.
- Clay For Sale We do sell 25 pound bags of clay that you are welcome to purchase for $15.00 (any form of payment is acceptable; if you purchase it tax exempt we must have a letter with the school's tax ID number) and we include a pottery guide. Clay must be taken back to school. We do not have the space or staff to allow you to make pottery here. One 25 pound bag will make pots for 25 students. If you would like to purchase clay, please let us know in advance.
Teacher's self guided walking tour
Teachers: here is basic information on the history of the Middle Georgia before your field trip. History of Middle Georgia